I just don’t know how to use them yet…

Posted by & filed under Good Reads, Library, Strategy.

learningtheropesPIL – The Freshmen Studies

… is what Freshman are saying about research resources as they move from high school to college.  With Valencia College focusing on the New Student Experience course, the new report that just came out from Project Information Literacy (PIL) is critical information at a critical time.  Learning the Ropes: How Freshmen Conduct Course Research Once They Enter College (December, 2013) reminds us as educators that new students face new challenges.  An abundance of information choices, good and bad, becomes crushing when it comes to novice researchers retrieving needed information.  More choices do not necessarily make the process easier.  I know this will sound funny… but I relate students’ first foray into information literacy to the first time I walked into a Godiva Chocolatier Boutique.  The smells and the displays overwhelmed my senses.  I knew there was something really good there.  Given limited time, money, and an aversion to overeating, I had to come up with a plan to pick the right chocolate.  Ah, yes new students! I do remember what it’s like!