Evernote: Note Taking in the 21st Century

Posted by & filed under Strategy, Technology.

In the fall of 2013, we piloted a new course on Valencia’s east campus. The course was SLS2930, and it was called Digital Learning Strategies. The purpose of the course was to teach students how to use their smartphones and other smart devices to enhance learning. In the spring, Terry Rafter-Carles and Sharon May continued the course and shared even more ideas and technologies with students. One of the technologies students enjoyed most was Evernote.

For those of you who have never heard of it, Evernote is a device agnostic tool (it can work on all devices), and it allows users to upload and storeĀ audio notes, photos, scans, text snippets from websites, documents, text they write and more. It stores all of this information in one place and can be accessed from any device. Notes and files can also be shared with anyone, and users can create files for others to share their notes too. Basically, it is like having all of your notes stored in the cloud forever, Evernote. If you haven’t seen it, you might want to check it out. Students in the new Digital Learning Strategies courses indicated that “Evernote Rocks!” In fact, some even commented that they were upset they weren’t taught how to use Evernote before starting their other college courses.

2 Responses to “Evernote: Note Taking in the 21st Century”

1. llott1

What are its limitations? I have tried Evernote before and couldn’t seem to understand it or figure out how it could work for me. Willing to give it another try since students said it was awesome!

Reply
  2. Nancy Maurer

I have Evernote on my android device, but did not realize all the cool things it can do. I was just using it to take notes at meetings. I now have it on my smartphone too. Can’t wait to learn how to incorporate all of its features into my everyday and professional life!

Reply