Don’t have to be Friends to Rule my Facebook Group

Posted by & filed under Destinations, Education, Faculty Development, Good Reads, How to, Ideas, Information Technology, Library, Mass Media, Social Media, Technology.

As many of you know, I have been using private Facebook groups in my classroom for a year now to encourage discussion beyond the classroom.  So far, it has been very successful.  I found this information as I was looking for support for why using Facebook in an educational way.  It explains how you don’t have to be Friends with your students in order to create and use a Facebook group, although the article supports Friending, I am not ready to go there yet.  It suggests that teachers set up another Facebook page that they can use for educational purposes but this is in direct violation of Facebook policy.  Please read with an open mind and see how we can begin to TEACH students how to use FACEBOOK and other social media sites in the best way rather than just assuming someone already taught them how to use in beneficial ways.

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 11.40.22 AM

The Why and How of Using Facebook For Educators – No Need to be Friends At All!