2014 Destinations Project- “My Love with Microbiology”

Posted by & filed under Biology, Blackboard, Circles, Faculty Development, Science.

Discipline: Biology

Introduction: Microbiology is a very interesting and one of the pre requisite subject to enter into any health care field. However, students are scared of this subject as it has too much content to cover in one semester and also the fear that microbes are bad.

I would like to welcome my students in the fall semester to my class by showing a video on infographic and youtube just to to take away their fear for microbes. Hopefully, after seeing this video, our students will not have fear of working with microbes and who knows- some might start of thinking of developing a career out of Microbiology.  I am sure that they will sense the love towards Microbiology subject from video and also will see my passion towards subject. I do believe that teacher has to be passionate about subject that s/he is teaching and if student sees that, they develop passion for that subject too.

Video Title: Simple Science – The Micro-Organisms Song – http://youtube/9c0Ui9bv9Jk- youtube video will help new comers to get a passion for this subject.

Infographic http://visual.ly/why-i-picked-microbiology#sthash.t7ubcZQM.dpuf   This is a funny comic describing the reasons why one should consider picking up microbiology  Published by  Michal Vilimovsky

Learning Objective: Students will gain perspectives on the good and bad microbes especially their uses in our day today life in kitchen.

Time Frame: The very first day of class (My class is 7 hrs long once a week only)

Class strategy: I will like to show this video to students on the very first day and they will have to do some internet search and submit to me as HW on five bacteria as normal flora and pathogens each including their names written in correct binomial nomenclature as well as their classification scheme for their HW to be turned it in for their next class. The students fear the most from microbial names itself and the way their names are written e.g Staphylococcus aureus

To get them more passionate about microbes, I will like to make them aware of microbial positive outcomes especially in health care field, using the blog given below. The blog below has a lot of funny touch to keep our students interested. This will be part of their assignment. http://blog.ted.com/2014/03/19/how-microbes-could-cure-disease-rob-knight-at-ted2014/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZME8H7-KU

Some of the highlights of above mentioned videos are:

How microbes could cure disease. Is there a part of our bodies that has just as much to do with who we are and how we feel that we haven’t yet paid much attention to? Yes, it’s our gut.

It’s a fascinating area of research. To underline just how much potential it has, Knight introduces us to C.diff, a disease that leaves people suffering from diarrhea 20 times a day. Some patients don’t respond to antibiotics, and his lab conducted a study on people who’d had this condition for at least two years. By transplanting fecal microbes from healthy individuals into these patients, there was an immediate change in their gut community. The disease was cured—in as little as a single day. And it didn’t come back.

We need to develop a microbial GPS,” he says, “to understand where we are, where we want to go and what we need to do to get there.”

Follow Up Plan:I will follow the underlined plan as a way to thread the discussion towards tips to succeed in this course by taking fear out of their mind about microbes and be successful participant in lab activities and be passionate about subject.

1. I will provide all the above video links on BB.

2. The students will be required to watch those videos from time to time as announced in class or shown in class itself.

3. A HW lesson plan will be given to students where they will be required to write names of various microbes (not only bacteria) including fungus, bacteria, virus, algae and helminth etc.

4. Students will have to classify microbes as per taxonomy scheme.

Outcome: I am very hopeful that my students will benefit from this HW as they really do not feel confident about taxonomy part and we discuss a lot during our semester. This will give them a head start to understand taxonomy, a difficult topic for our target population.