Intel Compute Stick

Posted by & filed under Technology, Video.

Will new technologies like the Compute Stick change the way faculty and students use technology around the college? First there was a migration away from desktops to laptops; then many of us jumped to the tablet, in large part because tablets were cool but also because we didn’t want to lug around 4 lb laptops with heavy adapters.

Well now there is a 2-ounce PC the size of a candy bar that you can take with you anywhere and the price point is $150. The compute stick comes with an Intel Atom Z3735F quad-core processor, 2GB of memory, and 32GB of eMMC (embedded MMC) flash storage. It measures about 0.5 by 4 by 1.5 inches (HWD) and runs a full copy of Windows 8.1.

My question is, how will this change the game for how we use computers in our offices, classrooms and at home. In the future, will I unplug my USB computer and take it home with me at night so I can plug in to my home TV to continue the work I was doing that day? Will I take it with me to class and simply plug in my very own computer to a classroom projector thereby reducing the need for Valencia to supply and support additional computers in each classroom? How much would it save the college, if we didn’t have to purchase and support duplicate, networked computers in each of the college’s classrooms? How many computers is that? Wow, kind of boggles the mind.  Check out the video below to learn more.