May the Fourth Be With You in 2015

Posted by & filed under Ideas, Video.

Happy Star Wars Day everyone! I know I am revealing my inner geek a little bit here, but I think it is safe to assume that I am not the only Star Wars fan at the college or following Circles. For those of you who don’t know about Star Wars Day, it is a day where Star Wars fans worldwide can proclaim their love of the saga.

According to StarWars.com , one of the earliest known records of “May the 4th” used in popular culture was in 1979, as described here by author Alan Arnold while he was chronicling the making of The Empire Strikes Back for Lucasfilm:

“Margaret Thatcher has won the election and become Britain’s first woman prime minister. To celebrate their victory her party took a half page of advertising space in the London Evening News. This message, referring to the day of victory, was ‘May the Fourth Be With You, Maggie. Congratulations,’ further proof of the extent to which Star Wars has influenced us all.”

The video spoof below gives you a little more about the day…

Star Wars Day Attack Ad: Say No to May the 4th on Disney Video

Besides being fun, this video is also a great example of how students and teachers today can create or curate video for a wide variety of discussion/presentation topics. For example, the video above could make for a great spark for conversations on propaganda and how media can control the message. Follow up assignments could have students curate comments on specific topics from Fox and/or MSNBC, and juxtapose the facts as they are presented by differing news networks. Then, students could write a paper or give a short presentation on what they are learning. Might make for some challenging fun. For those of you not familiar with the concept of using video/movie trailers with students, you might want to check out an earlier Circles post, Using Movie Trailers with Generation C.

Below I have shared some of my favorite Movie Trailer Re-cuts; perhaps they will spark some ideas on how you might use trailers in your classroom. I have used some of these while teaching summarizing, paraphrasing, prediction, tone, satire and some other topics. Enjoy!

2 Responses to “May the Fourth Be With You in 2015”