Socialnomics

Posted by & filed under Good Reads, Video.

Special Thanks to Jennifer Bacelice for sharing this great video on the power of socialnomics, which is also a book. Anyone interested in reading and chatting about this book? Let me know.  The video really made me think. And what scared me most, is how much the data presented in the video has changed in just the past two years. For example, the video notes that 72 hours of video footage is uploaded to YouTube every minute of every day, and I remember quoting that statistic back in 2013, but the current number is actually 300 hours or 12.5 days of content every minute of every day. There is also a comment about how 40% of the Fortune 500 companies are going to be lost to Digital Darwinism. From what I have read, that statistic was true from 2000 to 2010, who knows what that will look like from 2010 to 2020. It truly is a “Social Media World and We’re Just Living In It!” How are you harnessing the power of social media with your students? Perhaps this should be a Circles topic 🙂

One Response to “Socialnomics”

1. Lauri Lott

I use several Social Media tools in all my courses. I especially like using Facebook groups for discussions and questions. I would like to challenge my fellow colleagues to explore social media more and how you could use it in an effective way in your classroom. Student feedback has been overwhelmingly positive with our Facebook groups. Yes, i had to learn how to use Facebook but I am glad I took the time. It has reduced my email inbox tremendously and given us a platform that is easily accessible. I hope we can all get over the fear of social media and really investigate its power in education. Just as with any kind of tool; it can be used in a good way and a bad way. We have the incredible opportunity to teach students how to use social media in a good way since this was never taught. No one ever sat down with this generation and taught students how to use social media in a good way. They learned how to use it on their own and some made conscious decisions on using it for purposes that may not be the best.

Reply