Waffles and Remote Reality Teaching

Posted by & filed under Ideas, Video.

Special thanks to Andy Ray, West Campus Professor of Building Construction Technologies, for his help with this post.

One of my favorite things to do in my current roll as a faculty fellow is to share new innovationsricohtheta
with faculty. It is always amazing to me how many ideas can be generated from a quick, informal discussion. Teachers trading shop talk can always make for some amazing professional development.  Anyways, last week I was demonstrating  our new Ricoh Theta S 360 Camera to Andy Ray.

The RICOH THETA S is a camera with two hemispherical lenses that allows users to shoot pictures with a 360 degree perspective. Users essentially take spherical images or movies in one shot that can be easily loaded up to the web and shared with others. Below you will find an example shot by Dana in California. 

360 of the Golden Gate Bridge

Dana - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA

Remote Reality Teaching Idea

After demonstrating what the Theta could do and explaining how it could be used with student smart devices and virtual reality headsets (thanks to the Valencia Foundation, each campus will have its own class set of VR headsets for check out next spring), I asked Andy how he might be able to use 360 videos/stills with his students.  Andy immediately had some really great ideas for Remote Reality Teaching (think virtual reality, but real, not computer generated). Basically, the idea is that teachers can record mini lessons with the 360 camera, post them to Youtube or the Ricoh web space, and then share them with students. Students can then experience the immersive content right on their smart devices or with Google Cardboard VR Headsets. Teachers can use this innovation to take students on Remote Reality Field Trips. We can offer Remote Reality Simulations and Assessments. We can embed these Remote Reality Experiences in our online classes. There are lots of options for this new medium of instruction. In fact, if you have some ideas, we would love to hear them. Send me an email. Let me know how we can help you develop some Remote Reality Teaching for your students.

To test things out, Andy and I went on a short walkabout  to the West Campus HSB. Some of you may know this building as the one with the Waffle ceiling. In the short video test below, Andy gives a quick impromptu explanation of the waffle slab. We created the video as a kind of proof of concept, and now that we know it works,  Andy and I are working on some other ideas. If you have some thoughts for how you might take remoterealityqradvantage of this teaching innovation with your students, Let us know. I would be happy to come to your campus and help you record some Remote Reality Videos/Still Images.

P.S. While you can use your computer to view the video below, This content is best viewed through the YouTube app on your screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-43-36-pmsmart device, which will give you the interactive 360 perspective/experience; it’s even better if you have a VR headset. Scan the QR code to the right, or click on this link. Don’t have a smart device? Ok, then use the direction symbol in the video below to navigate 360 while watching the video. Enjoy!