Valencia Technology Club – Green Screen & Remote Reality

Posted by & filed under Circles.

Special thanks to the Valencia Technology Club for the invitation to share and discuss tech. On Wed. Nov 9th, I visited the club and shared some of the work the Circles team has been doing with green screen and remote reality. It is always such a pleasure to get out and bounce ideas with engaged minds. Thanks again, and as promised, here is your outsourced memory.

If you don’t have a QR code scanner,

click here to get the i-nigma scanner (My personal favorite!)qrtechclub

Click here to create your own QR Codes

Lego Your Creativity

Your Task: With the bag of Legos that you have been given, build a duck. Then, take a picture of it and share it with me here using this Dropbox file request.

Green Screening

Green screening, or Chroma Keying, is a technique by which a block of a particular color (often blue or green) in a video image/video is replaced by color, image, or video. This technique is what allows weather forecasters to appear against a background of a computer-generated weather map. It also enables some really amazing special effects in movies. Something that you may not know, is that it is surprising easy to do. Whether you prefer Mac, Android, or Microsoft, a reliable chroma key editor is a quick Google search away. With my demo, I was using Camtasia on my Mac and Greenscreen by do ink on my iPad.

Remote Reality Teaching Idea

Here is our pic

After demonstrating what the Theta could do and explaining how it could be used with student smart devices and virtual reality headsets (thanks to the Valencia Foundation, each campus will have its own class set of VR headsets for check out next spring), I asked Andy how he might be able to use 360 videos/stills with his students.  Andy immediately had some really great ideas for Remote Reality Teaching (think virtual reality, but real, not computer generated). Basically, the idea is that teachers can record mini lessons with the 360 camera, post them to Youtube or the Ricoh web space, and then share them with students. Students can then experience the immersive content right on their smart devices or with Google Cardboard VR Headsets. Teachers can use this innovation to take students on Remote Reality Field Trips. We can offer Remote Reality Simulations and Assessments. We can embed these Remote Reality Experiences in our online classes. There are lots of options for this new medium of instruction. In fact, if you have some ideas, we would love to hear them. Send me an email. Let me know how we can help you develop some Remote Reality Teaching for your students.

To test things out, Andy and I went on a short walkabout  to the West Campus HSB. Some of you may know this building as the one with the Waffle ceiling. In the short video test below, Andy gives a quick impromptu explanation of the waffle slab. We created the video as a kind of proof of concept, and now that we know it works,  Andy and I are working on some other ideas. If you have some thoughts for how you might take remoterealityqradvantage of this teaching innovation with your students, Let us know. I would be happy to come to your campus and help you record some Remote Reality Videos/Still Images.

P.S. While you can use your computer to view the video below, This content is best viewed through the YouTube app on your screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-2-43-36-pmsmart device, which will give you the interactive 360 perspective/experience; it’s even better if you have a VR headset. Scan the QR code to the right, or click on this link. Don’t have a smart device? Ok, then use the direction symbol in the video below to navigate 360 while watching the video. Enjoy!