Skype Conferences with Students

Posted by & filed under How to, Ideas, Video Conferencing.

Special thanks to Lauri Lott for sharing her strategy for using Skype to better connect with students.

As a part time faculty member I don’t have office hours nor an office to have them.  So, instead of asking my students to come to me, I go to them.  During our course, I schedule Skype video conferences with each team to discuss career goals and course feedback.  This allows students to be in their own comfortable space that is relaxed and not threatening.  I also set up the time convenient to most of my students which is usually after 5:00pm.  Since I teach Technology for Educators, this gives students a chance to use video conferencing tools that might be good to use for parent-teacher-student conferences.  I choose Skype because most students already know how to use it and I don’t have to teach them a new application.  I use my personal Skype since I am not on campus when we host the conferences and I don’t have a dedicated computer to use at campus to access Skype Business.

Want to learn more? Here is a link to an Edudemic article entitled 6 Creative Ways to Use Skype in the Classroom