Alexa, Raspberry Pi, & Playing with AI

Posted by & filed under Ideas, R & D, Uncategorized.

Special thanks to the Valencia Technology Club for the invitation to share and discuss tech. On Thurs. Nov 30th, I visited the club and shared back some of what I have learned about Raspberry Pi, Gaming, Alexa and AI.  It is always such a pleasure to get out and bounce ideas with engaged minds. Thanks again, and as promised, here is your outsourced memory.

Utopia or Dystopia?

Now that you have met Sophia, what are your thoughts? Where are we headed? Are you more H.G Wells or George Orwell?  Will AI bring about a Utopian or Dystopian future? Go ahead, take a minute and think about it. Then share your thoughts with someone sitting next to you.

Ideation

Welcome to the Circles Challenge. Let’s test your Creativity. Use the handout I gave you. How many unique, circular objects can you draw in one minute? Go for it! Test your creativity. For those of you needing help getting started. We will be talking about Pi today, so perhaps you can start there.

How did you do? Did anything hold you back? Was it your drawing ability? Experience?

Ideas for Raspberry Pi

I had never really played with Raspberry Pi until I was invited to come and check them out at a Tech Club meeting. It was there that I was given the challenge to make the Retro Game Box. My twin 12 year old sons and I had the thing put together in about 30 minutes by simply following the instructions and I was able to get some games from a friend who already had them for his Raspberry Pi. It was a fun and easy build. Then I was working with a colleague here at Valencia on connecting Alexa to the classroom. That is when I began to wonder. Can we put Alexa on a Raspberry Pi?

Raspberry Pi 

Instructables 

Hackster

Life Hacker

Did you know that you can ask Alexa to be your research assistant? With an Echo/Alexa device and the Browser Help Skill, you can use voice commands to:

– Search with Google
– Highlight links
– Open link {number}
– Remove highlighting
– Navigate {back/forward}
– Scroll {up/down}
– Show news
– Open favourite {1/2/3}
– {Open/close} tab
– Open Youtube/Google/etc

Building Your Own Amazon Echo

A quick Google search led me to this article on how to build your own amazon echo. However, while I was trying to build I realized that the content needed to be updated. So I did an enhanced Google search and found this article on the same thing. After following the instructions and playing with it for a bit, my buddy Jeff Harrison and I were able to get Alexa to work on Raspberry Pi. Now all I needed was some Alexa commands

• Alexa, testing 1-2-3
  • Alexa, what is the weather today?
  • Alexa, tell me a joke
  • Alexa, you rock!
  • Alexa, when is the end of the world?
  • Alexa, are you evil?

The complete list of Alexa commands so far

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/amazon-echo-the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/