Valencia College is switching to the Canvas learning management system in May, just about 100 days from now. But fear not, there is now a virtual smorgasbord of courses, webinars, videos, and people available to help you learn Canvas and get your courses ready. Here’s a rundown of what’s available to you:
Learning Canvas For PD Credit
Canvas related workshops, courses, and webinars are available to you for professional development credit via the Edge in Atlas. The links below will take you directly to the pages in the Edge where you can register for them.
- Circles of Innovation (1 PD hour) – James May has been leading Circles sessions related to Canvas on all of Valencia’s campuses. See the Circles of Innovation page in the Edge for the dates and locations of upcoming sessions that you can sign up for. Upcoming sessions will be on Acing Assessment: using assessment tools in Canvas like SpeedGrader. Last semester the topic was Starting Right in Canvas.
- Canvas Webinars (1 PD hour per webinar) – See the How to Access Canvas Training video on how to access and signup for the Canvas webinars via the Edge.
- Canvas Essentials (10 PD hours) is an online course for learning the basics of using Canvas. Keep an eye on the Edge for upcoming course offerings.
- Bootcamp for Online Instruction (20 PD hours) is a hybrid course for going more in depth with Canvas and online instruction. The next bootcamp starts very soon! January 26th!
Non-Credit Resources for Learning Canvas
- See recent Canvas posts here on Circles of Innovation including:
- See also Valencia stories about Canvas on The Grove such as the “Five Things You Need to Know about Canvas” videos.
- We’ve created Campus Canvas Migration spaces with numerous Canvas resources. Click on your campus to enroll in your campus Canvas space: West, East, Osceola, Winter Park, Lake Nona, Poinciana.
- OIT Canvas Resources – OIT has a page with a countdown timer to when Canvas launches, as well as information about How to Get Help with Canvas.
- Canvas Walkthrough Videos – This is a Youtube playlist with 4 videos totaling a little more than an hour that walk you through all the basics of how to use and build a course in Canvas.
- The Canvas Instructor Guide is your go-to resource for finding answers to questions about anything in Canvas. See also the Canvas Video Guide and Canvas Mobile App Guides which are also part of the official documentation provided for Canvas.
- Of course you are more than welcome to visit your campus CTLI center and contact one of the CTLI faculty developers to assist you with anything in Canvas.
P.S. Apparently it is smorgasbord, not smorgasborg, as I initially thought. Nevertheless, enjoy being assimilated into the Canvas community!