Virtual Privilege Walk

Posted by & filed under gamification, Ideas.

Note: This post is a work in progress. I will be back to finish it up and cite the appropriate contributors once I have their permission. 

Have you ever heard of a privilege walk? Yesterday, one of my colleagues shared the idea with me. I thought it was a great conversation starter and an amazing spark for an reflective essay or research paper on privilege. Anyways, if you don’t know what I am talking about, watch the short video below.

Anyways, my colleague (who I will name once I get permission) wanted to use this¬†exercise with students, but with some stipulations. She wanted to do it virtually and anonymously so as to make it so that no student’s opinion could be deterred by how their classmates might view them. I loved the idea and quickly threw together a Quizizz that could be used to meet her needs. Below is the video I sent her on how I did it and the pilot test I ran with students. Led to some very interesting conversations and I am now thinking about how I can incorporate this topic as a future writing prompt.¬†

Below you will find the link to the Quizizz if you would like to try it in your classroom. I recommend watching the video above to understand how it works and how to set the settings before trying it with your own students.

https://quizizz.com/admin/quiz/5a95e8400d1b5d0020a1109c